Sunday, April 12, 2015

Easter and Conference Weekend

Oh how I love spring!! It means warmer weather, longer days, beautiful blossoms and two of my most favorite things: Easter and General Conference!! This year we were lucky enough to have them land on the same weekend! Talk about a perfect weekend! The Sunday leading up to Easter this year we were able wear our Easter best early! Millie was thrilled to wear her "princess" dress from Amanda's wedding. These clothes are the gift that keeps on giving!! :) 
This year, for my sake and my family's sake, I wanted to make Easter more Christ centered and have deeper meaning. So I came across this blog that had lesson plans and everything mapped out for me for what was called "Holy Week" They were short lessons and perfect to adapt to the young kids (millie haha) we went Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday and brought thoughts, scripture and testimony of the Savior into our home each night. After all, that's what Easter should be about. It had its moments of craziness but as with each new tradition it takes time to work out the kinks ;) This will definitely be a tradition in our home each year to come. 
The best was on Easter morning during breakfast and before Easter baskets and Bunny gifts we did our resurrection Sunday lesson and brought (at least for me) the spirit and Rembrance of my Savior and what he did for me. I'm in awe of the atonement and what it encompasses and I still have a hard time grasping it all. But as with every principle of the gospel, I'm starting to understand more and more of the Love the Savior has for me and everyone of us. Because He lives, I live and get to experience the ups and downs of life that, even during the downs, bring so much joy and happiness in my life! I get to be with my family for eternity and see my Savior again. He Lives and while He lives I'll sing!!!
Now, because of our Savior and His sacrifice, we get to also enjoy the fun things with our families that life has to offer and I'm all about Easter eggs, egg hunts, baskets and yummy treats!! So we dyed our Easter eggs...millie loved "painting" her eggs ;) 
Saturday night we got out our baskets and left them out for the Easter Bunny to fill and hide! Excitement was building for sure haha
After our Breakfast and Resurrection Sunday lesson, the kids went and looked for their baskets. Of course millie found them all but was sure to help the boys find theirs first ;) she is a good girl! Millie found hers in the tunnel, Jordan's in the basketball hoop, and Braxtons in the cubby. They loved their baskets and tore them apart and got to the candy. Thanks Easter Bunny! 
After baskets, we got ready for the Sunday sessions of conference. Saturday's sessions were AMAZING and the kids did well with playing but Sunday I knew I would need some extra things to allow them and I to enjoy conference. 
Dad helped them get their wiggles out with a good time on the swing and then we did horsey rides during the songs and intros. The best was the Easter eggs filled with treats, stickers and nail polish. And as millie would listen and hear the key word "Jesus" she would get to open one up and eat or play with what was inside. She is a smart girl and only missed a couple times they had said the key word. She was so excited to open the egg and eat the treat. She caught on quickly though, and started shaking them looking for the ones with treats inside. Haha girl loves her treats! we played match the apostles, did playdough mats, colored and did some dancing for getting wiggles out. 
In between conference sessions we went for a drive and a walk on the beautiful Easter Day. It was so fun and one I will not forget. 
Back to the afternoon session and the kids were ready for a rest. Braxton unfortunately started getting a high fever and then went down hill from there quick. He ended up throwing up and being sick that whole week after :( poor dude! He was not feeling good at all but he sure is a tough boy!
After being filled spiritually, we filled our (already candy filled) bellies with Easter dinner. It was so yummy!

Another Easter for the books and the last one here in Omaha! :( So so sad! It's becoming way too real with only a month left!!! Happy we still get to make some memories here for another month!!

No comments: